Pssst. I have a secret. The new Sherlock Holmes movie starring Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law, Rachel McAdams, and Mark Strong is good.
I am actually posting on that right at this moment because of the skeptical looks I’ve gotten after telling people that. Now, my tastes might not necessarily be the same as yours, and the trailer leaves something to be desired, but if you enjoy:
- Rapid fire Robert Downey Jr.-delivered-wit
- The triumph of a smart-scientific rationality-House-like guy over “the dark arts”
- A “bro-mance” in the spirit of House and Wilson from House MD
- A Watson who is not a bungling idiot or comic relief, but someone who is smart and can handle himself
- Sherlock Holmes kicking some ass in a way that I can only describe as “if House could fight, this is how he would do it”
- A very interesting soundtrack by Hans Zimmer which is a cool amalgamation of the music you’d hear in an old Western and gypsy music (apparently Zimmer and his crew spent a fair amount of time trying to damage a piano to create the right sound)
- Some great physical humor which would make Jackie Chan proud
You’ll enjoy this film. And even if you don’t, you should still give it a chance.