Having been thoroughly chewed out by Charles and Teresa and Lester for using Blogger’s very poor commenting system, I’ve finally jumped ship and am now using the Web-2.0-enabled Disqus platform for commenting which we currently use (and which I’ve become a big fan of) on Xhibiting and Bench Press. Now, I and readers of this blog will apparently have access to:
- Threaded comments and comment ratings
- Powerful moderation and admin tools
- Filter out spam, trolls, and unwanted commenters
- Enable your visitors to become a real community
- Moderation by email or mobile
- More comments and increased engagement
- Connected with a large discussion community
- Increased exposure and readership
It comes with a cost though – all of the old comments have been erased. I too am sad to see my fellow contributors disappear, but the longer I waited, the more painful this would have been. On the surface, nothing will really change unless you start using the much more powerful commenting system. And, if you’re reading this, but just haven’t commented yet – what are you waiting for, the comments are now pretty!
The other change I made was to implement ShareThis on the site – something which many of you who troll blogs will recognize. Simply click on the cute green icon at the bottom of each post, and it will pop up a number of options you can use to share my post with Facebook, Friendfeed, Digg, by email, and through a whole host of other options. It even makes it easier to make your own blog post about my posts!
And now, pardon me, I have to mourn the old comments…